5 Most exciting moments in Indian cricket history
India is a cricket-crazy nation. People just love this game. They eat-sleep-drink cricket. But what makes cricket achieve this cult status over all the other sports? It is basically one of those rare cricket moments which has made the game what it is today! It is those moments which as a cricket lover, everybody remembers and cherishes the most. I am listing down some of those moments in this article:
Winning of world cup in 1983
- Going back to the 80’s, the first such moment was by and large the ‘Winning of world cup in 1983’. Indian team were underdogs at that time. But the Kapil Dev side managed to snatch an obvious victory from the hands of mighty West Indies. Batting first, India scored just 183 and were all out. West Indies in reply were bowled out for 140 runs. India got there first world cup and the game suddenly became the nation’s favourite past-time.
1996 ‘Do or Die’ game between India and arch-rivals Pakistan.
- Another such moment is also from the world cup. It was the 1996 ‘Do or Die’ game between India and arch-rivals Pakistan. India scored 280 odd runs. In reply, Pakistani openers Aamir Sohail and Saeed Anwar attacked Indian bowlers in the first few overs. In one of the over of Venkatesh Prasad, Over-confident Aamir Sohail hit a four and pointed a bat towards the boundary line. He said few words to the Prasad who got a little bit agitated. Surprisingly, the very next bowl Aamir was clean bowled. The whole nation danced and celebrated when they saw the right stump getting knocked out of the ground.
- 90’S was an era which witnessed the prominence and dominance of Sachin Tendulkar. A typical fan of this great player will never forget the back-to-back centuries scored by him in the 1997-98 Coca-Cola cup against Australia. Tendulkar singled-handedly outplayed the opposition in two crucial matches of the series. One match was the qualifier game for the finals and the other match was the final game. In between the match, there was a desert storm for a few minutes. Nobody can forget those two ‘Desert storm’ knocks.
10-wicket haul by Anil Kumble
- On the bowling front, India can never forget the 10-wicket haul by Anil Kumble in 1999 against Pakistan. It is almost an impossible feat to achieve. . Till date, only two bowlers have managed to take all 10 wickets in a single inning. Anil Kumble was one of those bowler.
winning of ICC T20I world cup in 2007.
- The T20 era for Indian cricket, also has got its own set of special moments. The biggest being the winning of ICC T20I world cup in 2007. It was a match which had the most thrilling finishes in T20 games. It made India proud as we became the first team to win the inaugural world cup tournament in T20.
2011 world cup
- Last but not the least special moment was when the Indian cricket team won the 2011 world cup for the second time. It symbolizes the beginning of new era of Indian cricket. The whole team dedicated the win to the Master Blaster – Sachin Tendulkar, who selflessly served the game for 22 years. It was indeed an amazing feat to watch Tendulkar being carried on the shoulders of the youngsters after the victory.